Monday, September 5, 2011

31 for 31 9 month check-in

I realize I haven't been around for almost a month. I have failed at the low-carb thing. Work has been crazy. I am pretty sure the magnitude of my responsibilities has finally settled on my shoulders. It's only the third full week of school and I'm already sick.

That said, I am enjoying my classes, band, and staffs. They are all doing quite well. There were some major changes for band, and they seem to be adjusting just fine. My yearbook and newspaper staffs have been amazing. I'm doing the best I can with the rest!

So, it's time for a check-in. I must say, I'm doing better with this list than last year's list. And for that, I am proud of myself.


1. Stop being a lazy cook and get in the kitchen, even when I'm tired. I usually enjoy what I cook more than what I would get out.

Still doing okay with this. I tried a new recipe tonight that my sister shared with me. It wasn't a difficult meal by any means, and most of what I make isn't difficult these days. I'm glad to just get dinner on the table!

2. Make H clean the kitchen more with me after dinner.

He put up his dishes tonight, at least.

3. Be a more engaged and engaging piano instructor.

Meh, I only have one student right now and I've only seen her a couple of times this semester. She's getting better!

4. Stop being afraid to hurt certain peoples' feelings and tell them what I really think when they ask. No one spares my feelings.

I'm pretty good at being diplomatic, but still getting my point across. It's been working.

5. Read more books. Fiction, non-fiction, educational, whatever. I don't read nearly enough.
I'm in the middle of the series "A Song of Ice and Fire" and am totally hooked. I asked for "The Hunger Games" for Christmas. This is going well now!

6. Go to some concerts at the local universities. There are all these great performances and I hardly ever go. I have a DVR for a reason.

Fail.


7. Finish C25K and do speedwork, then move to Bridge to 10K.

8. Sign up for and race at least 3 5K's this year.

9. Sign up for and race at least 1 10K this year. (Either 8 or 9 can be in a relay)

I tried running a few weeks ago, and it hurt like hell about 3/4 of the way through. I'm not sure that running will ever be the workout for me again. Crap.

10. Continue my journey to enjoying the smaller things in life that bring joy, i.e. sunrises/sunsets, caring for flowers, little things like that. I have noticed that I feel pure joy when taking in these very subtle but amazing things.

It sure was hard taking care of plants this summer! But, I still find myself marveling in small things. The other night I was entertained by a cicada that decided to buzz around the back patio while I let the dog out to pee. It actually sat still in my hand. I felt like a kid.

11. Learn a new instrument.

Fail. I have, however, seen lots of crazy instruments on Youtube.


12. Quit being such a nag.

Hahahahaha fail. I will, however, say that sometimes nagging is the only way to get things done around here.

13. Continue to foster my new friendships at work.

After several years of not having hardly any good friends, I finally have a nice group. We're all kind of in similar mindsets about a lot of things, and it's a very supportive group of ladies. I never thought I would have actual girlfriends again that didn't stab each other in the back most of the time.

14. Be more supportive of my husband's efforts to continue to improve his alma mater fraternity.

It's Rush Week. I have no say about it lol. Luckily, this week is Open House and I've been invited out on another night, so it won't be too bad.

15. Become a more savvy shopper.

I bought an adorable shirt at Ross today. I also got some excellent deals on a dress ($18 including shipping and there was no tax) and a skirt (also $18) from Kohl's recently. I'm getting better!

16. Save up and buy another lens for my camera (perhaps a more snazzy general zoom lens? I think so.).

Meh, after buying a little point and shoot, and realizing how little I take pictures at home, I don't really feel this is necessary.


17. Stop breaking my wedding ring.

Another fail. I still haven't gotten it fixed!


18. Prove once and for all that my school building is haunted (okay, okay, I know I can't do this but dammit, I believe!)

This might happen next month. My newspaper staff is going to do their own little "Ghost Hunter's" kind of webisode thing. Who knows???

19. Receive a glowing review when the assistant principal reviews my journalism class. (I got a glowing review on my band rehearsal first semester so I'd like to continue that pattern).

Don't know when he or she will be by.

20. Continue trying a new recipe every month.

While I don't intentionally do this, it just kind of seems to happen!

21. Be more open to trying new cuisines. I will not, however, force myself to eat organ meats or sushi. Other than that, I should try it.

I tried sushi. H gave me a piece that was just gross. I tried another piece that was just shrimp and rice, and that was better, but it was from a more reputable location. He's still not convinced. I practically gagged on the first piece because it was too big, the rice was too vinegary, it was all mushy but no matter how much I chewed it didn't get smaller!


22. Continue working to be a more stable person, and to keep a hold of my struggle with depression.

Most days I do okay. As long as I keep busy I'm usually fine with this. I tend to not dwell on it too much.

23. Continue to delight in the triumphs and successes of my students.

Still so, so easy. I was floored at the audition one of my percussionists played, one who came to me with very little music reading skills. It was awesome. I was a proud mama.

24. Do more to take care of myself. Get more massages, or haircuts, or take care of my feet more than I normally do. I'm terrible about all of this.

I've started painting my toenails regularly? I do need to go get a massage, though.


25. Take a vacation, even if it is just a small weekend trip to Dallas. No vacation in 2010 at all sucked!!!

OU-TX, baby! It's coming up. So excited.

26. Re-invest myself in strength training. I don't know why I quit, really. I was enjoying seeing the strength gains I had made.

I'm such a fickle person when it comes to working out. I'll do well for awhile, and drop off. Why can't I just make it a habit and stick with it? What the hell is wrong with me?


27. Actively save money. We don't save nearly enough.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

28. Keep a cleaner house, especially my office, which is a mess at the moment.

Striving to do better. My desk is covered in tests right now, but most of the house is reasonable at the moment. It gets pretty awful during the week, though.

29. Be less hypercritical of others. I know I said in #4 that I was going to stop coddling people, but sometimes I find that I am overly critical of others, especially my husband. I am also overly critical of myself.

I'm failing at this a bit, especially the part about being overly critical of myself.


30. Finish the little projects around the house--curtains, hanging things, photos in frames, etc.

New light fixture in the bathroom! New fan in the office! I didn't do those things, but they are there! We also got a sprinkler system this summer (so awesome).

31. Continue to enjoy my new found outlook on life.

Every day is a new day. Every day comes with its own challenges and triumphs. I'm learning to appreciate it all.

No comments:

Post a Comment