Saturday, April 30, 2011

Private Eye

I have decided, at least for awhile, to change my blog's status from public to private (invite only). Some drama happened this week, personal and professional, but I will discuss that only in person or through some other outlet, if you want to know about it.

However, there are some things that I do feel comfortable sharing in this venue. Beware: there will be work-related information. If that bothers you, then just click away from this page. Beware....BEWARE the posts about my job!

1. Two band students who had no re-enrolled for next year, came to me after Thursday's concert and said, "We've made a terrible mistake." They want to stay. They had too much fun playing at the concert to give it up. I think I have some good ideas for next year to make the ensemble more enjoyable for all, and they will probably like it more throughout the year, instead of just at the end.

2. I turned in my graduate project. I drove all the way there...and my project adviser wasn't in his office. I instead had a nice conversation with my graduate adviser about the project, this summer's classes, and general stuff. He informed me that the history class (that I was dreading...Bach cantatas? Really?) might not make. However, I was planning on 12 hours this summer, including a 3-hour conducting course that I don't need. He said he could put the conducting course in for the history course, if the need arises. The graduate college won't like it, but it's not my fault, he said, that the class might not make, and I shouldn't be punished for it.

3. I'm secretly hoping the history class doesn't make. Bach cantatas, people. The conducting institute, however, sounds like a much better use of my time.

4. I walk next Friday evening. I wish I could feel like I'm closing some sort of chapter on my life, but I'm not. Not yet, at least.

5. We have I think four weddings to go to this summer! Holy cow!

6. Sometimes I wish my husband had no background in music, because he thinks he knows more than I do, and that his casual twice-annual visit to listen to my group at concerts is enough to analyze their improvement. He even said that he was just as qualified as the judges we have at contest! Sometimes I wonder where he gets this stuff from. Participating in a group is not the same as going through all the coursework that I did to prepare myself for what I do. He admitted to not knowing what he's doing when helping the orchestra, but then turns around and says he's qualified to judge an ensemble that he honestly knows nothing about. I was so incredibly angry last night about that.

7. Tonight is prom. I even have a date. Three lovely ladies will be joining me for dinner (location still undecided!) in our party best and then we are going to go to the prom. The kids want their teachers there, which is so strange. I think they like to see us dressed up. It's so strange seeing them in formal gowns and tuxes after seeing them in polos and khakis for so long. I have an adorable party dress that I got at Ross for $40, retail $90. It's got a full skirt AND petticoats. I LOVE a full skirt.

8. It's Saturday, and we're going to the arts festival. I'm excited. It's supposed to be a gorgeous day...a little breezy, but it's sunny and clear right now and I'm stoked.

That's the update for now. Yes, I'm an attention whore. All blogs are. If you don't like it, then don't read it. I know there are some that enjoy my lists, and failures, and successes and that's how they keep up with my life. I appreciate those people for caring.

No comments:

Post a Comment