Sunday, July 17, 2011

Finally going to do this

You know how you sometimes just need an "a-ha" moment to get you inspired? I had mine the other day. It wasn't exactly "inspiring," though...more like sad and depressing.

I stopped in to The Loft to kill a few minutes while waiting to meet a friend for lunch, and I realized that there really isn't anything in there I can wear. If I want my size in pants, I have to order them online, and even then, it's a crapshoot. I miss being able to shop there and try on clothes there. I miss buying higher quality clothes than Old Navy and Ross.

So, I'm setting a goal. I'm usually scared of doing this kind of goal, because what happens if I don't meet it? Well, fuck the fear. If I don't hit the goal, then I will just keep going until I do.

My goal is 15 pounds by my 31st birthday. That's a short 15 weeks away.

I did manage to work out on Friday -- it was only cardio as my hip is KILLING me after sitting in awful desks and chairs for class for the last two weeks -- and yesterday. I kicked my ass yesterday, and I'm quite proud. I'm moving pretty slow today, actually. I was quite surprised at how heavy I could lift to start. I'm pretty strong considering I'm not in awesome shape. So, that's a start.

Eventually, I plan to move our diet (and yes, H is going to do this with me whether he likes it or not) into a more plant and animal protein based diet, with less dairy and fewer grains. Not totally low-carb or Primal/Paleo, but with smaller and fewer servings of those two things. With much, much less alcohol. Sweets have not been that big a deal around here, as long as I don't bake for just the two of us, so we'll keep a treat day now and then so we can have a meal that isn't "on plan" and enjoy a drink or two.

First steps will be getting a workout plan started. We have talked about turning our empty dining room into a home gym, and I think I have finally convinced H to get free weights instead of some bulky machine. I don't want to have to move that thing someday. We will also get some sort of cardio machine. I would prefer an arc trainer, as I like how they work and my knees feel better, but I could do an elliptical. We both hate treadmills, so we at least agree on something! Maybe we could get H a stationary bike for rainy/too hot/too cold days, as well. For the time being, though, I've got a gym membership and H is just going to have to suck it up and deal with the (oppressive) heat.

So, that's what's going on. I know I've said it before, but it was a wake-up call for me. Maybe H will have a similar wake-up call of his own.

No comments:

Post a Comment