Saturday, May 14, 2011

Pomp and Circumstance

Another class has graduated. Another class is moving on, while the faculty and I remain behind. This is both the joy and the curse of being a teacher. Your students are not permanent.

If you don't mind, let me share some things that were shared on Facebook and in my yearbook these last few very humbling days.

"You have been the best teacher, mentor, and friend. You are truely an amazing woman and I am SO grateful for having you these past four years." -- Yearbook editor

"You have been like a mother to me; I appreciate you pushing me through all the challenges of this year." -- band student

"Thank you. You know...you have changed the lives of students. Again and again you make me happy that I've had the chance to know you. Thank you for changing my life." -- a senior that I never had in class, but have gotten to know well.

"I'm probably going to miss you like crazy 'cause you have always been here for me, in and outside of school. Luckily, I have two more years with you and I'll text you over the summer so you don't miss me too much. :)" -- band student

"Band was my favorite thing in high school, and I always enjoyed giving you a hard time. I'm going to miss band and all the goofy kids in it." -- band student

"There hasn't yet been an afternoon where you haven't made me smile at some point. I wish you'd been my teacher too." -- student that I told I'd wished I'd had her in my class

"You're a really great teacher! I'm glad I had you this year. Thanks for not only being a good teacher, but a great person in general. You've taught me ALOT (one word)." Newspaper editor sharing a private joke

"I enjoyed having you as my journalism teacher and I am glad I had a chance to interview and really understand who you are. At first, I thought you were mean, but you're laid back and cool. You also have good taste in music!" senior journalism student

Yes, I'm tooting my own horn. I'm proud of my students and I am proud of myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment