Had a blood donation scheduled today. It's like the one thing I do for mankind and my iron was low by one freaking point. I didn't even have any iced tea today.
It's only happened one other time, last summer, right after my period (duh). I'm nowhere near that point in my cycle. It's strange to me because I've had a high energy day!
The tech told me to eat some steak, the rarer, the better. No problem, sir. He also said to have some juice with the meal, as the Vitamin C helps the body absorb the iron. Well, what a coincidence--I actually have OJ in the fridge!
Here's a list of iron-rich foods you can enjoy!
* liver (ewwww)
* lean red meats, including beef, pork, lamb
* seafood, such as oysters, clams, tuna, salmon, and shrimp, etc.
* beans, including kidney, lima, navy, black, pinto, soy beans, and lentils
* iron fortified whole grains, including cereals, breads, rice, and pasta
* greens, including collard greens, kale, mustard greens, spinach, and turnip greens
* vegetables, including broccoli, swiss chard, asparagus, parsley, watercress, brussel sprouts
* chicken and turkey
* blackstrap molasses
* egg yolks
* dried fruits, such as raisins, prunes, dates and apricots