Wednesday, June 23, 2010

I'm baaaaaaaack

Well, that was a hellish week.

The apocalyptic floods came through last Monday and we took on water in the house. It started in the bathrooms and laundry room (north side) and after sopping all of that up (and it never came back...odd) it started seeping in under the baseboards on the entire south side of the house. The only rooms that were safe were the kitchen and dining.

We obviously had to hire out to have all the wet carpet pad removed and the slab floors dried properly. Luckily, we managed to get back to my sister's apartment that day (she lived in an area that was hit pretty hard) and get out steam cleaner that she had borrowed literally the day before, so we could suck a lot of water out. And I mean a lot of water. It sneaks in on you.

So, I called Stanley Steemer. I have never used such a disorganized company in my life. The head (corporate) had no idea what arms (local guys) were doing. They would show up without a call. I had to wait around way longer than the "window" in a disgusting smelling house. We were displaced for two days and lived at my in-law's. Callie joined us there, but I don't trust having the cats in that huge house (I'm pretty sure Anchovy would figure out the dog door and he would be GONE) so I had to lock them in the dining room by themselves. Luckily, it's a big room.

Finally, this Monday evening the carpet got new pad and was stretched back into place. It only took a few hours and it was nice to get things back in order. Yesterday morning we put most of the furniture back into place and I FINALLY got my computer back. So, now I can do work. Except, I'm remodeling the cat room right now (painting now, flooring soon) and the place is still a mess. I can't seem to get everything going.

Forget about working out. It hasn't happened. I did Turbo Jam last Friday and I was so sore the next day I could barely move. More sore than from Insanity, believe it or not. Now my knees HURT when I squat down for something and I have no idea what brought that on, but that's been going on for a few days. I feel like my body is falling apart.

And don't get me started on what I've eaten in the past week. Some days I didn't have a choice. There was a lot more alcohol than normal (and dammit, we deserved it, in my opinion) and not enough restful sleep. I went up to the school to get some work done but could never concentrate.

So, I'm just a big whiney-butt today. I partly blame PMS. I partly blame the flood. I partly blame strange dreams where we take on way more animals than we should because they seem to have no homes (but there were kittens....adorable, lovable, huggable kitttens! Squee!).

But, despite my whining, my office looks GREAT! It's all clean, organized (except for my mail holder...I need a new one of those as this one does not match the room) and all that is missing are some black and white photos for the wall. I need to figure out what I'm going to take pictures of for that little project. I'm also very happy with the cat room's color. It's kind of a light frappaccino. I'm putting in laminate floors (warm, light oak) and bright white baseboards. I painted a table bright white, and the accent color is going to be apple green. I think I'm going to take pictures of the pets and put those on the walls in there. Seems appropriate.

So, here's to getting a lot done today. Let's hope that actually happens.

No comments:

Post a Comment